Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!!!

And what a New Year it is! We have snow! Yes, really! We have snow. It began yesterday as rain and then turned to snow last night. I think we've got about 3 inches. Morgan is very happy. He might be able to ski after all. Unfortunately, the lack of snow has hindered his ski racing. He hasn't be able to train and he hasn't entered for any races as we can't really count on the snow. The fees are non-refundable and we can't afford to waste the money.
Last night we went bowling with my family. My mom and sister bowl on a league so they are considerably better than Morgan and I. We had fun though. We just passed Owen around and he had a good time too! He is never lacking attention when his Grammie and Auntie Sissy are around.
Then we spent the night at my mom's house. My uncle was there also. We ate, watched some tv, played a game and rang in the New Year. We had breakfast in the morning and just hung out. It was a nice New Year's.
Today is the beginning of getting back to being healthy. I started my running program. I have a treadmill so I am able to walk/run in the winter when it's cold or dark. I always feel so much better after I've had a good workout and I am baffled by how easily I drift so far off course sometimes. I guess being pregnant and adjusting to parenthood and being a SAHM contributed. But I'm putting my evil chocolate eating ways behind me and making a fresh start. Chocolate isn't bad. I just need to learn some moderation. That's why I can't keep it in the house.
I am hoping to live up to my full potential as a runner. I was a dancer for many many years but I did not do a sport (even though I considered dancing a sport!) while I was going to school. So as an adult I took up running as my sport. My goals are simple. Finish and don't be last. So far so good. This year I'd like to be faster. Truth is, I couldn't get much slower!
I'm not good with team sports. Mostly because I think there are too many silly rules to most of them! And I've always thought I was too short to play most of them. Now, I know lots of small girls who play sports, but I wasn't one of them when I was in school.
I have lots of other resolutions and goals for this year. That's what I love about a new year. The potential for new and better things.

4 comments:

Aimeslee Winans said...

I totally understand about the dancing. My DD did that all four years of high school. And... it is every bit a sport and then some. She played fastpitch softball for 8 years before high school, and never ever did she work out as hard as her most sedentary day in dance. That blew us away, none of knew how hard the work is on a dance team. Hope your day went well!

Maureen said...

I am right there with you on wanting to get healthy. Thats great you took up running. Happy New Year.

Benita said...

Can you send some of that snow to Michigan? We didn't even have a white Christmas this year :( Glad you had fun bowling....I bowl in 2 leagues & love it!

Happy New Year :)

EquineSpirit said...

Happy New Year! It's nice to see a bit of snow in Minne"snow"ta isn't it? We were beginning to wonder if winter was ever going to get here or if it was here and we just missed it...LOL!