Friday, January 26, 2007

A cute story...

My MIL sent me this little story and I thought I'd share it with all of you.

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk 's office was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation. She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. "What I mean is," explained the recorder, "do you have a job or are you just a......?" "Of course I have a job," snapped the woman. "I'm a Mom." "We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it," said the recorder emphatically. I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall.

The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient and possessed of a high sounding title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar." "What is your occupation?" she probed.
What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out. "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations." The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written, in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire. "Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?" Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I wo uld have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family) and already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money." There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another Mom." Motherhood!

What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers "Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations" and great grandmothers "Executive Senior Research Associates"? I think so!!! I also think it makes Aunts "Associate Research Assistants".

Being Owen's mother is important to me. In a "this is my job" sort of way. I did not intend to have children. I wasn't going to be "just a mom". I was a career girl. I wanted to make use of my mind. But after I had gone to school and taught and gone to school some more and continued to teach I changed my mind. I don't know why. I don't know what happened that made my mind change. It just did. And I'm so glad it did! The writer of the story is correct. It is a career. You do it for a lifetime. And there are women who are not mothers who still mother. Maggie, Lori, and Nikki are not mothers but they way they teach and the way they care about and for thier students make them Associates of the Child Development and Human Relations field! My sister Miranda is not a mother either. But she is an excellent Associate too. For someone who had not spent much time around babies, she and Owen have taken to each other like best buds.

And I have to say I think I'm still using my mind. My perception of what a teacher is changed a lot over the years that I taught. And the important things I learned along the way I didn't learn in grad school or from a professional development session. I learned them in my own classroom with and from my own students. And they are skills that I use everyday with Owen.

5 comments:

EquineSpirit said...

Absolutely wonderful post!! I loved it...both the email from your MIL and your portion! ((HUGS!!)) from one Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations to another! I'm gonna have to use that title on DH tonight! I'm going to be in shock if I don't get the "what the heck are you babbling about now woman?" look from him...LOL!

Lynn said...

Heather, I've read this before somewhere. I just loved it the first time I read and still love it now. I have to tell that I will put down that I am a Domestic Engineer also, lol. People just look at me and wonder what the heck I really do. I say,,, Keep them guessing!

Aimeslee Winans said...

You just made an excellent argument for what I believe: mothers make the best teachers. I know it's controversial, but I really do believe it. Not that non-moms are not great teachers, not true at all. It's just that when you've been a parent, it adds a very unique and special dimension to what you can offer children. Not my intention to offend, just how I feel. I think of it as an extra asset.

Noelia said...

What a beautiful post!
For someone like me, that gave up education to become a mother, it means a lot to be reminded that what I do is not insignificant. I was determined to get a degree but things turned out differently than we expected :)
I don't undermine or under estimate the power of education,in fact, I hope to return to college when Joshua is older but for now, this is what I want as a career, being another Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.

Anonymous said...

Well, have you looked at him? I'm a sucker for a cute face (and drool), so what am I going to do? Ignore him? No way- I'd miss to much if I did that..I was really excited for him to be born and scared when he got here, then he stopped crying all the time and now I'm excited to see him and see how he's changed and grown.. I think its cool.