Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Ugh...

I hate headaches. I've been getting them a lot lately. I'm not certain why. In the past I would get headaches due to stress. Like when I was student teaching and had a headache for 18 weeks. About seven years ago I started getting migraines. The first one I went to the emergency room because I had been seeing spots and the pain was so bad. Well, I didn't know it was a migraine until later and the spots were an aura. I don't get the auras anymore. I'm not sure why not, but I don't. Just a bad headache. I've been eating well. Getting exercise and drinking PLENTY of water! So one would think that the headaches would not be here.
Headaches to me are like having a paper cut on your index finger. They get in the way of normal functioning and everytime I bend down or turn on a light I'm painfully reminded that I have one. Of course the pain is worse but just as annoying. And they tend to bring out my inner demon. The one who likes to eat chocolate by the fistful. Or since we don't have any in the house peanut butter sandwhiches. The demon is the one who decides it's better to watch TV or read blogs than get a workout in. Or something else productive. The demon is also the one who had two boyfriends, at the same time, in college. So the headaches bring out my split personality. I think that's most annoying!
Owen has started climbing. Add that to rolling, crawling and up plugging electrical cords and you get a mommy who can't leave the room. Even to pee. Did I mention all the water I've been drinking. You name it, he's into it. My mom asked me the other day what I had expected he would be like? Well, maybe a little bit slower! He likes to climb on stuff so I got out a bunch of pillows for him to climb around on. Thinking he would LOVE it. Yep. For about 2 minutes. Then it was back to the dog bed and the electrical cords. None of which are plugged in but I still don't want him getting the impression he can chew on them.
Did I mention that we still have our Christmas tree up? We do. Hopefully we will have time to get it down tonight. That's another source of temptation and entertainment for Owen. Sometimes I get tired and think I should just let him do whatever he's doing but then I remember all of my good teacher training and redirect him. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that teaching and learning are all about consistency and repetition. Children will consistently and repeatedly do what you don't want them to do even though they've learned not to and as a teacher or parent you have to consistently and repeatedly redirect and continue to teach them what they are to do. Somedays I can't believe I taught a class full of children everyday. I can hardly keep up with Owen! Thankfully I did not have to change diapers while I was teaching.
On a creative note. My felted bag is done. It's drying. I took a before and after picture. I have to attach the handles and I think it might need a lining but I will decide when it's dry.

2 comments:

Noelia said...

Oh Heather, I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time with your migraines. I don't have them often but when I do, it's not pretty. Migraines have a tendency of making you become irritable and anxious so don't feel bad that it's making your demons come out.
Owen seems like a typical baby boy. Maybe you can find a toy library in your area where you can borrow toys on a regular basis. That will keep Owen interested and you can rotate the toys fairly often.
On another note, I've been reading your blog like a good book :)
Hope you feel better soon (((HUGS)))

EquineSpirit said...

((HUGS!!)) and I hope ya feel better soon! I know whatcha mean about those migraines and headaches. I get both quite often and they are really good at bringing out my demon too. Talk about making a potentially productive day into something much less. Hopefully they'll give you a break and leave ya alone for a while. Anyway, reading about Owen brought back memories of my little guys and the mischief they used to get into. Those baby/toddler months don't last long so enjoy them even though they probably drive you crazy. I know they did for me but I'd give anything to relive them.