Thursday, January 25, 2007

No sun today...

Yesterday the sun was actually shining! But not today. I think that tends to have an adverse affect on my mood. I like to have a little sunshine and here in MN those days can be few and far between in the dead of winter.

The 2P's challenge for today is: Do you live more in the past, present or future?
I would say I live in the present. I frequently don't know what time it is or what day it is! So I can't be looking ahead if I don't know where I am! I have occasional bouts of nostalgia but not very often. I think my living in the present has a lot to do with staying home and being a mommy. I used to live more in the future. Not that I didn't enjoy what was going on while it was going on but I always had a plan for something in the future. I think that's the nature of being a teacher. You always have plans. Either for the day, week, month or quarter. Teacher's are planners. And I was always working and thinking on a schedule. I had to know what time it was because I needed to get a certain amount of material in during a period of time or get my class to where they needed to be on time. I just don't have to function like that anymore. It was a difficult adjustment at first. And I still have a schedule and a routine but it's not a strict. So it's also part of who I am. But I like to just enjoy what the day brings. Sometimes Owen is happy all day. Sometimes he's a fussbucket. But I want to enjoy everyday with him because he's growing so fast. I have a journal that I keep were I write to him. Tell him what he's doing and document how he's growing. So someday he can read all about himself. And I can look back in it and see what he did when. And for when he's an unpleasant teenager and I need to remember what a sweetheart he was!
When I was younger I spent a lot of time planning my future and simultaneously mulling over the past. I wasn't very happy. So I try not to do things I will regret and plan in a way that makes me happy. And I also try to be happy with the person I am. That way I can enjoy each day I have.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Heather, what a terrific post! I agree with you. I live for today and hope for a better tomorrow.

Noelia said...

I too live in today but like you, I'm a planner so I have to have a routine or somekind of structure. That's great that you keep a journal for Owen to record all his milestones and sentiments of each stage.

Aimeslee Winans said...

God, that's a great attitude for living in the present! That's how I have evolved to right now, too. While I am an advocate of introspection, it should be done when you know you are doing and have planned to, or else it can create unwanted emotions bigtime! Especially if I dwell on my past mistakes. So, being as I'm 50, I've examined all of those and alread y made peace with them. And I don't live in the future (aside from trying to create a useable to-do list) because it's often not under my control. I have been learning to live well in the present! ROFL