Thursday, November 16, 2006

A little self reflection...

Sometimes it's nice to take a little time to take a look at who you are. I was thinking about Aimeslee's comment about my post from earlier today. She said at first she though I was callous for saying I thought those people were pretending to be homeless. And I have to admit, she's a little bit right. I can be callous. I don't believe I was in my thinking about the people I saw, they really didn't look homeless (now I know why!) But with respect to other situations I can be.
I tend to be a suck-it-up/don't-be-a-pansy sort of person. Life is rough all over. Everyone has hard times and you just deal with it. But Aimeslee is reading a book about the people who lived through the Dust Bowl in the 30's. People who had nothing or lost everything. I don't know what that is like. We didn't have a lot when I was growing up but we always had what we needed. Anyway, these situations and books and stories like the one Aimeslee is reading help me to remember to be humble. To keep in mind that EVERYONE is a child of God. I believe very much in social justice. In helping people who need help. Whether it's necessities or my friend Maggie who wants help with a project. I like to help people. It helps me to not be so selfish. Which I can be. I don't know if I'm more selfish than other people or not, but we can all use a little help being less selfish. I've learned more about this in the last six months than in my entire life. It can be daunting when a little person's welfare and well being depends exclusively on you.
I always tell people that Morgan is everything that I am not. He is the kind of person who will give his last dollar to the man on the corner. I on the other hand wonder if the person is really homeless! I am a cynic and an idealist all at the same time. A bit of a paradox. I think what let's me believe I am a good person is that I always want to be a better person. I am able to recognize in myself the things I need to change. As I've gotten older I am more able to change those things. Or recognize when my inner cynic is coming out. I don't want to be one of those people that no one wants to be around. I don't think I am. But I work hard to keep a positive attitude. It's also hard to be cynical and mad and skeptical and all those bad personality traits for very long. It takes a lot of energy.
So I guess what I'm saying is I am callous. But not often. I keep it in check! Mostly I work on being kind and generous. Now I'm going to iron my man's shirt for tomorrow.

And by the way, what would you all wait outside in the cold overnight for??? I'm going to have to think long and hard about this one...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Heather! I'm slowly catching up on my blog reading, and OMGosh I missed being written about, LOL!

Hey, we are aLL callous somewhat. But I'll tell ya what I think of when I think of you -- comfort. Yeah. You seem like someone I could be comfortable around and talk honestly.

Do you know how FEW peeps there are like that?

You should take a bow. I'd pat ya on the back if I could reach ya from Texas, LOL.

aimeslee hugs xoxo