Monday, October 02, 2006

A walk...

to remember. On Saturday we (Morgan, Owen, my Mom & Miranda) did the Walk for Hope for the Alexandra House. As I mentioned in an earlier post it is an organization to help people experiencing domestic violence. When we arrived and went in to register this is the first thing I saw.
Little onesies decorated to remember babies who were victims of domestic violence. Many of them died at the hands of people who were supposed to love and protect them. My eyes filled with tears.
A parents primary responsibility is to love and protect their child, yet so many children are affected by domestic violence. Children are left with people who are not fit to care for them. Or worse yet born to people who are not fit to care for them.
I know first hand the overwhelming stress and sense of helplessness one can feel as a new mom. In the first few weeks of having Owen home I wondered how I would survive the crying jags until Morgan came home to relieve me or my mom could come over. My hormones were all out of whack and I cried all the time and it seemed like Owen did too. I can understand how a person could want to make the crying stop. What I don't understand is how people resort to violence that leads to serious harm and sometimes, too often, the death of a child.
The first three months of being a mommy were difficult, trying, exhausting, and long and wonderful all at the same time. Now that I'm through it I can say that I've learned a lot and I'm a better mommy because of all of it. But I also know it's the hardest thing I've gone through thus far in my life.
I loved Owen before he was born and I fell in love with him the moment I saw him. His beautiful smile and cute little giggle melts my heart. His cry makes my heart ache. He is my precious boy. All children are precious. All life is precious. No one should have to suffer at the hands of another. Especially the hands that are supposed to love and protect them.

There were also about a dozen of these cutouts of women or women and children who were victims of domestic violence. The purple sign on them has their name and the story of what happened to them. I can't tell you how powerful the display was. It was also moving to watch them being packed up. Each cutout has a special bag with the names embroidered on it. When I was crying about all of this yesterday and talking to Morgan about it he said something very powerful to me. While all of these situations are tragic and awful God intends something positive to come of the loss. I think one of those positives is the message and the stories of these women and children are passed on. That something is learned from thier loss. Their sacrifice.

Here are my boys. The other day I was reading Bonnie Rose's blog. She had written about being thankful. I am so thankful for the wonderful man and husband Morgan is. I am thankful for the family I have that supports me. And I am blessed to have such a beautiful and precious boy. I pray everyday that we can love him and protect him and raise him to the best of our ability.

Maybe next year you can join us at the Walk for Hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww. What a cute hat! :รพ

Lynn said...

What a touching blog you posted today. I never heard of that walk. I will however look for it next year in my area.
Your boys look awesome!