Thursday, October 19, 2006

Two more things...

This month is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I was watching The View yesterday, which I don't do often, and they told the story of a woman who was stricken with breast cancer at 31. She had just had a baby, he was 7 months old. She was still breast feeding and thought it was just a blocked duct. Or a cyst. She'd had a cyst before. It turned out to be cancer. She was a runner and just and overall busy woman. I was just stuck watching this. This vibrant woman full of life. She is surviving. It just struck me how naive I am about my health sometimes. So it's important to do those self exams! Here's a link if you don't know how or need a refresher. I admit I don't do them. I just think I'm too young to worry about that. There's no history of it in my family. They said that 95% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history. This woman was 31.

It also brings me to one of my fears. That things go on in our bodies that we don't know about. Cancer. Cysts. The beginning of pregnancy. In March Morgan was diagnosed with a bilateral pulmonary embolism. In non-medical terms he had a blood clot in each lung. He had not been feeling well for a few weeks. He just had this nagging but unproductive cough and some pain in his lung area. It was 6 days after he completed a long ski race in very cold weather that he decided he needed to go to the doctor. He went in to his primary care physician who sent him to have a CT just in case. That's how they found the clots. He was admitted to the hospital and was there for 3 days. My husband is a fit man. He did not have any of the indicators of PE. He runs, skis, bikes, lifts a few weights and with the exception of his unhealthy relationship with tortilla chips he eats pretty well. At the time I was 8 months pregnant. I was at work when he called to tell me. I hadn't been able to get ahold of him all day and was a little freaked out when it wasn't his number that came up on my cell phone. I immediately said "where have you been!?" He told me he was at the doctor. Well, I'm not dumb. The appointment was at 8am and this is 3:00pm. Finally he fessed up that he was in the hospital and what he had. Well, I didn't cry until I called my mom. I didn't know what PE was really or how serious it was until after he was out of the hospital. So if you don't know. Here's a link. Check it out. And check your breasts. Stuff goes on inside of us that we don't know about.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

October is also Domestice Violence Awareness month.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visting my blog and adding my friend to your prayer list - very sweet of you.

And I've added your dh to my list - he will get through this BECAUSE he is so young and fit and healthy, and has you and your baby! Believe it...

xo

Anonymous said...

Self examination is so important, however I am guilty of not doing this monthly. I think I may have gave myself a self breast examination once or twice this year. This is so important.

Melissa said...

great post-I agree self exams are very important..but must admit I am also quilty of not doing them as often as I should.

PS:the story you heard on the view sounds a lot like the women with breast cancer on Grey's last night.

Melissa said...

umm..i meant GUILTY not 'quilty'-lol

Anonymous said...

wow - so lucky your husband caught it - breast cancer awareness is very important!! thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

They just had something on Greys anatomy about that last night where a woman with a four month old or so child was diagnosed with breast cancer and thought it was just a blocked duct. That is scary.

A few weeks ago my mil was diagnosed and I can't begin to imagine how she's feeling.