Thursday, February 22, 2007

Owen about town...

As I've mentioned previously Owen has had a case of "crabby baby" and hasn't been taking naps. As I type he's in his room fighting off a nap! Yesterday I had enough. The weather was decent and the sun was out so we set out for the library and Target. He is a photo tour of our neck of the woods.
The wildlife! We live across the street from a lake and it's fairly wooded back around the lake. But we don't often see deer right on the road! Look close. The one above is just to the right of the fire hydrant.



In all we saw 7 deer! Now where we live is not rural. At all. We are about 2 miles out of the Minneapolis city limit. Barely a suburb. It's not uncommon for us to see deer but right in the neighborhood is a little odd.
Here is the sidewalk to the library. Very exciting!
Yippee! We have achieved a nap!
There is the library from a distance. There is a nice park back behind it. We didn't go through the park though.
Here is the library up close. It's 2-3 years old. It's a great place.
Please tilt your head to the left to view this one properly. It's a huge mobile thing hanging in the foyer of the library. It's really neat when the light shines in just right.
Now on to Target. I have to mention we almost got run over by someone backing up in the parking lot!
Look what we saw in the dollar section!
Now we are on the way home. A much happier baby than earlier!
There is the mall. Brookdale Mall. We didn't stop there. I'd wanted to go to Barnes and Noble but it was getting to be lunch time. (If the nap this morning doesn't happen maybe we'll go there!)
That's the temp on the bank sign!
We walked through the park by our house on the way home.
Home is in sight!
And here we are! Much happier than before we left!

On our little trip I realized a few things. Lots of people driving cars are not very courteous to pedestrians. Even ones with strollers. I had the walk sign and some woman still turned in front of me. And I was already in the cross walk. One guy was stopped right in the cross walk and there wasn't any way for me to go around him.
Also, without all the accomodations that have been made to sidewalks and buildings for accessibility by people with disabilities moms with strollers wouldn't get getting around as well either! There was just an article in the paper a few weeks ago about this very thing too. How these accomodations have benefited a broad spectrum of people.
And my last realization was more of a confirmation of something I already knew. There are lots of people out and about everyday that are not using their brains! So watch out! It can be a bit scary out there!

5 comments:

Noelia said...

What a great idea to post pictures of your neighbourhood! I will try that sometime. When I first saw the first picture I thought the deer was a lawn decoration! LOL! Wow amazing to see that wildlife is so accesible to you, Owen must love it! I'm glad to hear that you and Owen were ok and did not get hurt by that car in the parking lot...people can be so careless at times. Love the very last picture of you and O. You should do a multi-photo LO for this!

Benita said...

Wow, you captured some great photos of the deer! Seems like they're all out roaming now that the weather is getting warmer. I had one cut in front of me the other night as I was driving in our subdivision.....glad I missed him & he missed me! Looks like you had a great walk. Spring is in the air, even with the little bit of snow we got this morning :)

Maureen said...

Great photos of the deer! Love your pics....

Anonymous said...

oh wow, what a great way to share with us your neighborhood. glad lil o got a nap and you got your walk. love the picture of o's happy face and of course the one with u and him. too cute.

lynda
p.s. awesome library

Lynn said...

Heather, I'm glad that you got to get out and about and Owen was able to get a nap in for you and woke up a Happy boy. I love your walk to the library! The deer are beautiful. Just wonderful.
You are right their are many people out there that don't have a brain or choose not to use it. Watch out.
My Target never has anything good in the $ finds. I have to change Targets.
I can't wait for your excursion to the Mall, lol.