Friday, September 22, 2006

Rainy days...

can sometimes make me down. So then I spend some time cleaning. And then I get irritated that I can't throw out all the things I want to. I hate to have clutter. I like things to be clean, simple, and pretty. I am really starting to subscribe to the philosophy that if it doesn't serve a purpose or have a use I don't want it. But then I come across things like this. Photographs take up space but they also serve to remind us of what we shouldn't forget. This is my Grandpa Ernie. My mom's dad. This picture was taken in December of 1957. I know because the original photo is dated. I love this picture because it's just silly. Who eats cake sitting on a toilet? And why??
He is the only Grandpa I ever knew. He and I were inseperable. Even when he and my Grandma moved up north I was torn between being with them and being at home and spent lots of time with them. I can't believe it will be nine years since he died. Some days I miss him terribly. I spent most of my life worrying about when he would die. But I didn't think it would actually happen. When it did I was devestated. I remember so many things about him like it was yesterday. Sometimes I am reminded of those things because they live on in my uncle. Last Christmas I noticed that my uncle smells the same way my Grandpa did. You know how people have their own scent? Well they have the same one. They also have the same handwriting and look a lot alike. The older my uncle gets the more he reminds me of my Grandpa. I like that. It makes me sad that Owen won't get to know my Grandpa. He is named after him. Owen Ernest. But I can show him pictures of tell him stories. And do things with Owen that my Grandpa and I used to do. I will show Owen how to use tools like my Grandpa showed me. And how to skip rocks and play pool and pinball. Hopefully I can teach him to make change. My Grandpa tried, and he was so patient, but I was just NOT good at math. Good thing I didn't have to teach math beyond 4th grade! I guess rainy days help remind us to clean and remember.

No comments: