Saturday, May 24, 2008

A traveling we will go...

I decided for our trip it would be fun to take a travel journal. Especially since this is Owen's first real road trip. Rather than buy on I decided to make one. I was inspired by a little journal that Ali Edwards made for a trip she took.

I think if you click the picture you can see it larger.
The journal is 7x7 made with scrap cardboard and binder rings I had. I covered the printing on the cardboard with pattern paper. On the inside covered I glued some small favor bags sideways to hold some little cards I stamped on. I can use these to write information to go with photos and use the pockets to keep small memorabilia. Then there are 10 sheets of lined writing paper for each day we are gone. There is an envelope to keep some bits and piece in too. Then there are 10 photo protectors. They are 4x6 size, actually refill pages for a 3 ring binder type photo album but I cut them apart so I could use them in the journal. I just tucked them in the back rather than punching holes because I won't know which way to orient the pictures until I've taken them!

I was feeling like the journal was a bit bare. But then decided that was okay since the point is for it to take shape during the trip! I then packed some basic supplies into a plastic school pencil box. MM Travel Wordfetti stickers, some pattern paper scraps, lined scraps, scissor, pencil, pen, glue stick, tombow adhesive, ruler and small stapler.

Ashton Henry is coming along too. I tucked him into my supply box! He's not been out for a good adventure since the glue factory incident!

Lastly, I wanted to share my new piece of high tech camera equipment. It's a light diffuser. Does it look familiar? It's a film canister! I cut a slot in the side so I can slip it over the onboard flash of my SLR. Now if Morgan would stop messing with it so the super glue can dry I can tuck it into my camera bag! Here is a link to a how-to for it. It looks like it may fit on a Canon better than my Sony. But it does the job.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

your book is fabulous....say hi to my brother....don't forget to tour the winery in Rapid....they make great berry wine. Have fun, and keep a eye on that troll.
Pam

Alli said...

have a lovely holiday! and I love your travel album!

Sarah Coggins said...

Great album! You'll have to share finished photos of it after the trip. :)

Benita said...

What a wonderful journal! I love it! Great idea for the diffuser, too. Thanks for sharing :)

Gabrielle said...

Love the travel journal...great idea!

Lynn said...

What a great little journal. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Noelia said...

I can't wait to see your mini filled up with tons of little goodies that you collect on your vacation. Enjoy it!