Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Good morning!...

wait, no, it's 10pm. I missed the morning. Actually, that's not true at all. I was painfully aware of the morning because I slept on Owen's floor for most of it. I was having a good nights sleep when he woke me up at 12:45am with his crying and coughing. I think his boogery nose was bothering him. He blows/wipes it on his sleeve but only when he's upset and crying. I try to explain to him that he will feel better if he blows it in a tissue, regularly, when he's not pissed. This logic just doesn't sink in. He was also hungry. Lately, he's ALWAYS hungry! Perhaps he's growing. He also likes to pull the "Owen hungry" thing when it's time for bed or a nap. Tonight I nipped that in the bud. He had a bath, which usually helps clean his nose out. Then he had a snack of pretzels and milk. Then we brushed teeth (so I don't worry about them rotting while he sleeps) and then two stories that he chose and George and Elmo are sleeping with him. It was also after 9 when he went to bed. He had a good day of playing and a decent nap. It should be a good night for sleeping. Which generally means that I will not be able to fall asleep! I would like to know what I've done to the universe to get such crappy sleep karma. Oh, and if I'm tired enough to fall asleep Morgan will probably be sawing logs loud enough to deafen the neighbors.

I wrote a great blog post last night too. In my head. It was good. I'd love to tell you all about it but when I woke up all I could remember was that it was a good post. I write a lot in my head when I can't sleep. And it's generally gone in the morning. Not unlike so many of my other great thoughts.

So I'll just share some more random crap, I mean stuff, from our day. Owen and I wore our John Deere visor antler things today. We got them at the state fair. He found them in his closet and we both had to wear them. He looks darn cute with them on too. Me not so much. Especially since I didn't have a shower today. Yucky hair. But he looked good. We also had to wear them for our nap. After he fell asleep I took mine off. But he looked pretty cute sound asleep with his green foam antler visor on. I would have taken a picture but I didn't for the same reason I let him sleep with his antlers on. Once that kid is asleep I do not wake him up! I was a bit worried that he would strangle himself with it on but I decided to take the chance and leave him be. Turns out it worked itself up his head rather than down and they ended up on the floor. I live dangerously.

I am going to create a new snack for kids called "Sompin Else". It will be a mixture of a whole crap-ton (I love that word too Jill!) of things so when you get to the end of the snack stash and still have not found what the kid wants you can give him or her "Sompin Else". Which is what Owen always wants lately. Last night it was finally yogurt. I ask him what he would like. But he can't stop crying long enough to tell me that part. Just long enough to say "O hungry!" Yes, I've got that. LOUD AND CLEAR! NOW WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT SO I CAN GET IT, SHOVE IT IN YOUR MOUTH, AND GO BACK TO BED!?!?!? These are not the words I used. I try to stay calm. Which involves a lot of eyerolling and sighing on my part. Oh, and teeth clenching. (I think I may grind my teeth at night too.) It's always "Sompin Else". He can't tell me. I just keep suggesting things until I finally get to whatever "Sompin Else" is. And it's NEVER the same! Maggie asked me today why I just don't tell him no. Like when he wakes up in the middle of the night and such. Because he throws up. That's why. If he didn't throw up I'd put my head under my pillow and let him yell until he fell back to sleep or the cops came banging at the door. But he chokes and coughs until he throws up. I wish I could do that. I think it would come in handy sometimes. I also told her I pick my battles. And it seems like lately I pick fewer and fewer. And I don't know if he's workin' us or not. But I think he might be. When he's 8 I'll finally have the upper hand. Until then, I'm screwed. 8 year olds I know. 2 year olds, not so much. He has too much in common with the Screaming Banshee somedays! Oh, and my mom asked me why I don't just offer him two things and let him choose. Well, it's the middle of the freakin' night and he's not listening to me anyway and he generally says "no" to whatever I offer. Which obviously isn't one of the choices but try explaining that to a hysterical 2 year old who is starving! Daily I'm amazed at the number of people who have more than one child. Maybe other people just like more thrill and excitement than I do. Or they think they better have at least more than one option for care in their elder years. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You could end up in a crappy old folks home.

And lastly, because I really should go to bed, I bought the movie Madagascar at Target today. It was on sale. We needed a new movie to watch obsessively, so I thought it would be a good change. Morgan isn't feeling well and I'd played enough today so we had a movie night. If you've not seen it, you should. It's funny! Super funny. And I will leave you with my favorite line from it.

"If you have poo, fling it now!" - The Monkeys with an English accent. The accent makes it.

1 comment:

Lee said...

I am laughing so hard, I can barely stand it. OMG, hysterical. This of course, is coming from a mother of four who has barely a coherent memory between the years of 1995 and 2001. Though, I do recall feeling the exact same way ... much of the time. Damn I wish I had a blog back then. LOVED this post. Thanks so much. My husband is reading it right now. He missed my pain, I'm making him read yours :)