Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Typical Tuesday...

My new lens came yesterday. Well, the replacement for the first one. I took it out of the box and it made the same sound! I called the camera dept at B & H and talked to someone who said it was normal but he didn't really tell me specifically what the sound was. I think the first time I called them I only got customer service whom I don't think actually work in the store. I've also posted a message on a photography board to see if anyone else has the same sound. It's a pretty popular lens so someone should know. I may also take it to National and have them check it out. I don't want to go through the whole return process again if it's not defective but I do want to know what the sound is. I guess I'm a bit crazy that way! I did take it to Owen's swim class to try it out. Not really it's intended purpose but because of the low f-stop I wouldn't have to worry about using a flash. And it worked fine. If suppose if it were defective I'd notice some other issue in addition to the sound. I just think it's odd. I'd like to try it out for portraits but I can't get Owen to sit still for that. Unless of course it's sitting right here on my lap while I type! Which I guess is pretty cool because he claps for it!

Anyway, because the noise was driving me batty I decided to check out all the other lenses I have including the ones for our film camera. While digging around in the closet I came across Morgan's grandpa's old camera. It's an Argus C3 rangefinder camera. I have no idea what that means and looked it up on Wiki to get an idea. I also found this picture.

I'd been meaning to take a picture of it to send to Noelia because she had found a great old canon last month. So anyway, this little Argus C3 was the most popular selling camera for 3 decades! The manual is still with it too. Maybe I'll figure out how to use it! Morgan's grandpa took tons of pictures with it and many of them are very good.

Maureen's challenge for today: Who is one person who changed your life? I'm going to go with Owen. Lots of people have had an impact on my life or inspired me or helped me in one way or another but Owen truly changed it. And if you're a mother you know what I mean and if you aren't I can only say in every way possible he has changed my life.

9 comments:

Shell said...

What an awesome camera! I love the looks of old cameras.... something very charming about them!

Hope your new lens isn't defective!

Anonymous said...

Great find. I love old camera and have been drooling over my FIL camera for 6 years. Great find and I bet it still takes amazing pictures

Gabrielle said...

I LOVE old cameras! I'm hoping to find a treasure at a yard sale one day! :)

Lynn said...

I hope there is nothing wrong with your new lens. I know how frustrating it can be though.

I love old camera's also. There is just something about them.

And having a child enter your life is probably one of the biggest changes in life. That was the biggest change in my life.

Linda said...

I hope your new lens is ok. The old camera is really cool.

Wyanne Thompson said...

Aren't old cameras great! I have an old 35mm Canon that takes 2 photos for each normal 35mm negative. So it's a smaller negative and unusual proportions. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'd have to say the 1# person that changed my life first would be my husband. Because I would have gone down a completely different road as a lawyer (Yikes) if it wasn't for him. Then of course, my two wonderful kids. Take care. Love, Wyanne

Stephanie said...

Love.that.camera!

Noelia said...

You're killing me with that camera! It's gorgeous!
I think you should definitely continue to try to find out what is that noise inside the camera. Lenses aren't cheap and if it's defective as well then you're entitled to know.

Janet said...

What a treasure! It would be really neat to learn to use it and see how it works!

I can totally agree with your comment about motherhood. No single thing, even marriage, has changed my life as much...for good! :-)