Thursday, May 03, 2007

A light at the end...

After the epidural I was able to dilate to 10! The nurse checked me and said my cervix was gone. I looked at her a little concerned and said "what!? WHAT does that mean???" She told me it was good. That now we could start the pushing. Wooo Whoo! I looked at the clock and it was 1am. I decided (another silly thing!) that I would have this baby out by 1:30am. So we began the pushing which was not difficult but a little odd when you didn't have any feeling. Luckily I didn't have any "accidents" which I heard frequently happened during the pushing. I think this was due to the fact that I hadn't had much to eat in the previous 34 hours! Did I mention the vomiting? In order to have the epidural they gave me this stuff to keep me from getting sick. Well, it didn't work! This vomiting continued for about the next 10 hours! Anyway...

1:30am rolled around and I looked at the nurse and asked her about how long this pushing stage lasted and she said about 2 hours! Sheesh! So I kept pushing. My doctor had been in a couple of times to check on me and the next time she came, about 3am, she checked me and the nurse had been able to see Owen's head but he just wasn't getting any farther, my doctor turned Owen (he was facing the wrong direction) and I pushed again and he turned back and we did this a couple more times and she looked at me and said "he's not coming out this way." And I asked "so now what??" And she said C-section. Yes, you read that right. C-section. I had been in labor for about 35 1/2 hours. This was the exact thing I didn't want. I couldn't watch the videos in the class. During the C-section one I had to leave the room. But I was also exhausted beyond any exhaustion I had every experienced. And I didn't have any other choice. I had already had all the drugs. The IV's were in and the epidural too. So they shot me up with the morphine and we prepped for the surgery.

Again, great nurses. Fabulous anesthesiologist. She held the little tray for me when I threw up during the surgery! I asked for a tummy tuck but my doctor said I didn't need it because of the second baby. I laughed! Owen was born at 3:50am on May 5th.
I'd like to say the saga ends there. But it doesn't. After I was out of surgery, about 4 hours later I hemorrhaged and needed to have a blood transfusion before they would let me leave because my hemoglobin was so low. And before the transfusion they had to redo the IV because it wasn't in right anymore. And I had to get a shot before I left! I am NOT an needle person. I get sick just thinking about having to be poked! So I guess when you HAVE to do something you find the strength to do it. The thought of going through that again, well, I don't like it. But I wouldn't have to go through the 36 hours of labor again. And they would know to watch me for the hemorrhaging. So it wouldn't be as bad. But I would know about the needles ahead of time and that would bother me.

I also have to say that throughout this Morgan was wonderful. Beyond wonderful. I could not have done it without him. And he watched the surgery too. He saw Owen come out. Colleen commented that it doesn't matter how they come into the world and that is so true. I did not feel bad that I had the C-section. I worked hard and that is just how it had to be. So on Saturday we will celebrate my little O's first birthday, on Cinco de Mayo, with a Fiesta!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Yellow Fence said...

I also vomited during labor and after. That part sucked... but that cute little baby at the end made it all worth it. Awesome picture of the 3 of you!!!

Shannon

Noelia said...

What a birth story! The things we endure for our litle ones. Thanks for sharing!

~Happy Birthday Owen!~
(HUGS)

Melissa said...

35.5 hours!-wow you are amazing.

big Happy 1st Birthday to Owen!!! hope you all have a wonderful celebration :)

FlipFlop Mom said...

What a stinking ADORABLE blog!!! Happy Birthday to your little one.. Bless his little heart!!! Bless your heart.. I know how sick I was too...