Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Hello December...

I can't believe it's already December. This year has flown by. I'm always amazed at how the passage of time seems so much faster as an adult than it did as a child.

Owen is already excited about Christmas. He sees all the lights in people's yards at night and asks why we aren't having Christmas. We've been busy trying to explain how the lights are just one way that people get ready for Christmas and prepare to celebrate Jesus' birthday. Part of getting ready for Christmas is celebrating Advent. Morgan is big on Advent. He doesn't like to rush into Christmas. And to be honest, neither do I. I guess it's just another way to make things last longer or enjoy it more. We have an Advent activity calendar that I made last year that has tags with activities on it for us to do everyday. Not anything huge and spectacular. Sometimes just little things. We also have an Advent calendar from Trader Joe's that Owen can open a little door on and there is a piece of candy inside. Fortunately the candy pieces are quite small so I won't have to feel bad if he eats it in the morning sometimes!

We also set up a Nativity set each year. This year while I was looking for the Lego Advent Calendar at Target (which they were out of) I found this great Playmobil Nativity Set.


We got it out today and put it together. Owen LOVES it! We set it up in his room on his dresser where he can see it and play with it. It came with a small book with the Christmas Story in it. Owen keeps calling the wise men soldiers and Morgan likes to call them wise guys.

I'm going to attempt to do a little Daily December journal this time around. I've attempted the last two years and even made a couple little journals but never got them finished. This year I haven't put anything together yet so maybe not planning it will help me accomplish something!

2 comments:

emily said...

My little brother used to love playmobiles when he was small. I have been trying to find a nativity scene for our apartment for awhile...

Hope that you are enjoying your December so far! It is nice to take the month slow and enjoy all the moments of the season. I agree!

jillconyers said...

I'm so excited about the holidays this year :) Good luck with your DD journal. Keep it simple and do a little bit each day seems to be the keys to DD success.

Have a nice day Heather.