Thursday, July 12, 2007

It's been a hard days night...

Are you wondering how it ended? Better yet, WHEN it ended? 4am. Yes, 4am. After I wrote my entry last night Morgan got up and went in O's room. He thought I was already in there. While he was getting Owen I was setting up and Elmo video. We watched Elmo Visits the Doctor for 40 minutes. He was calm. So I took him back to bed. Not 5 feet out the study door he was arching his back and throwing a fit. I kissed him good night and left the room hoping he was exhausted enough to fall asleep. Nope. Not yet. He's got a lot of endurance. At 3:15 he was screaming at the top of his lungs so I went in and got him out. I tried to hold him. I tried to put him down. He crawled around on the floor screaming his scary screaming cry. I turned on his fan. I turned on the lights. I turned off the lights. I got him so water. We went down to watch TV and cuddle. He wanted to scream and arch his back and dig his feet in my stomach. He did not want to be comforted. Finally with Owen over my shoulder I shoved on my shoes, grabbed my purse and left. The whole while he's screaming. He would not go in the seat willingly and kept arching his back and squirming. So as gently but firmly as possible I had to work him into the seat and strap him in. The while he is screaming and doing his nasty cry. Halfway down our street he finally took a breath. Only to scream more! He stopped about 3 miles down the road. I put in Kenny Loggins Return to Pooh Corner tape and sang to him and best I could (I'm not a good singer!) and he seemed to settle down. So we drove the streets of Brooklyn Center and Crystal for 45 minutes until I thought he was asleep enough so I could get him into the house and back to his crib. I had left a bunch of lights on so I left O in the car while I readied the path to his room from the car. I didn't want anything to wake him up. As usual the car door squeaked and the kitchen door squeaked but he stayed mostly asleep. He was back in his crib by 4am. So I returned to the couch to read and try to fall asleep. I must have because I woke up at a little after 8 when I heard Owen wake up and realized that Morgan had not left for work yet! He didn't get out the door until quarter to 9. He usually leaves by 6:30.

What person can have a 3 hour screaming fit with just a short 45 min Elmo break and still wake up at 8am??? It isn't me! But it is Owen! He's playing with his bowls now and was mostly himself when he woke up so I don't know what is going on! I just know I'm tired of it. I know why people choose a job and daycare over staying home. If I went to work I could at least sleep during my lunch break or while no one was looking!

5 comments:

Noelia said...

I feel your pain! It's so hard when they go through those waking up at night phases. Sometimes it's just for a little while and then it goes away. Hopefully he will outgrow this soon. Hang in there ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

oh heather i'm so sorry to hear of your ruff nite. i'm puzzled @ what can be his lil problem... i remember those few times when they don't want to be consoled, after u have tried everything....i hope it ends soon

lynda

toners said...

I'm so sorry about the hard night you had...those are just the worst! Try and catch up on some rest today. ((hugs))

Bonita Rose said...

so sorry it's been so difficult.. it's worth it to hang in there, it's worth it to be home for your children... honestly. I was home with my girls till they went to school and a bit more beyond... u can't get those years back... hugs

Lynn said...

I'm feeling your pain! Those are the worse nights. I use to wonder what caused the fit. I could never come up with a thing. I hope you can get some rest soon. This too shall pass.